Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Modesty!

Can the way you dress temp a man to lust?

I was in a bible study a few years ago and
 one wife was talking about something her husband told her. 
Her husband was a Deacon in the church 
and it made it difficult when women wore low cut shirts when he was ushering.

I took that story to heart and I felt so bad for this man.
A man that was a God fearing man
and was trying to guard his heart and eyes.
But, there we are as women making things more difficult for him.
Even in church.

The definition of Modesty is:
behavior, manner, or appearance intended to avoid impropriety or indecency.

Indecency......
That's hardly even in our vocabulary anymore.

We live in a world that doesn't care about modesty.
It's all about how much attention a woman can get
and how much skin she can show. 
Everything is about looks.
Everything is about Pride.
Me, Me, Me....

Now, I know that not everyone is going to agree with me.
Women are not to blame for men's lustful thoughts.
But, couldn't we help them out a bit.
Maybe, we could NOT make it harder?
A heart for Modesty is motivated
by a love for one's fellow man.
I love the men around me.
I don't want to help them fall.
I want to help them learn to protect their eyes.
It's already a hard world for them to be in,
we shouldn't be making it harder.

Modest dress is also about discernment,
having an awareness of others and our environment.
We can dress modest and still be fashionable.
We don't have to show skin to be in style.
We should be caring about keeping our bodies private.
Our bodies are for our husbands or future husbands.
Not to share with the world.

Also.....
What does this show our daughters?
The world is already so difficult,
without us letting our 12 year old daughters
 dress like most adults shouldn't.
Where does dressing like this lead our daughters?
What does this tell them what we think about them?
What are they telling the boys and men around them?
What kind of attention are they looking for?

I'm lucky (for now), my 13 year old daughter is very modest.
More modest then I was at her age.
She won't let her bra straps show, 
She always wears shorts or leggings under her dresses, 
and most of the time 
wears a tank top over her tank top bathing suit.
I sure hope she stays this way and protects her body
but one day I might have to fight her on this.
And.... fight I will. 
Protecting her is my job. 
Even if she doesn't agree with me or understand.

As women, we are called to show modesty to the young girls around us.
We all have someone looking up to us.
It's time to start showing them how to love themselves
without the need to show their bodies.
Be the example!

I'm not saying that I'm perfect in this.
I'm not.
It's a hard thing to buy clothes that are modest.
You really have to shop around to find tank tops that aren't low cut.
Or shorts that your cheeks aren't hanging out of. 
But, as we go shopping next, 
or pick something to wear out of our closet. 
Maybe we can remember to buy something
or pick something that is a little more modest.

Maybe...... we can remember that what we wear represents 
how we represent God.
How would he want you to represent him?
What would he say about what you choose to wear?



1 Timothy 1:9-10
Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, 
with modesty and self-control,
 not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire,
but with what is proper for women who profess godliness with good works.

No comments:

Post a Comment