Thursday, September 29, 2016

Don't Post that on Social Media!



Emotional posting on social media, right or wrong?
Have you ever felt so upset and the only place to vent was on Facebook?
Did you post personal information and details about your life?
About your relationship?
The pain someone has caused you?
Do you want everyone to know your side of the story?

I had a time like this in my life. 
I felt I didn't have anyone to turn to or anyone to talk to. I made the big mistake of posting on social media while feeling emotional (especially in the middle of the night when I was lonely and upset). I think this is such a terrible exploit. People don't need to know your personal details. Your Facebook "friends" don't need to know your emotions or your side of the story. 

I have been thinking about this because a friend of mine is doing the same thing that I had been doing and it just feels wrong. It makes me uncomfortable. Every time I read something I think "oh no, don't post that." I feel like I'm now on the side of so many others that were reading my posts. 

It also makes me think of the other person in a bad light. Now when I'm around that person I look at them differently. I know I shouldn't but you just can't help it.  I know their personal details even when they didn't post them. I feel like I only know one side of the story and I'm judging the person based on what the other person has said.

I also have another friend that has gone through a difficult time and handled it so beautifully.
I wish I could look back on that time of difficulty in my life and say that I handled it well, like her. I wish I could look back and only see positive posts or none at all during that time. I wish I didn't feel ashamed of the things I posted. I wish people would've looked at me with admiration at how well I handled my emotions.
I know how it is.
 I know you just want support from your friends. 
You want your side of the story out there. You want people to know your pain. You feel wronged and want people to know about it. You have a place to post sayings and verses to make you feel better. You have a place that friends will come along and encourage you. It made me feel better at the time too but it was a false feeling. I would've felt better if I just kept to those few close friends that helped me through this time. 

I go into my, On This Day, on Facebook everyday to see old pictures of my kids and I have come across some things this last month that has really bothered me. It was all my postings from a time of pain and suffering. Now that I read them it brings back that pain and suffering. It's hurting myself more now and I see the wrong in what I did. I have been going through and deleting posts every day from during that time just so they don't pop up next year when I look through my old pictures. I don't want to come across this again in the future and bring up old heartache. 


Even if you are right, even if you were wronged, you don't need to post it for everyone to know about. It's only going to cause more hurt and pain. We are so used to posting every detail of our lives from what we are eating for dinner to how a person made us feel and we don't really know when we are crossing the line. We need to have boundaries with what we post. Some things are better left unsaid. If you need to vent then do it to someone you trust so they can bear your burden with you.

God can use the social media tool through you to reach so many people, if used correctly. You can be a shinning light to those that aren't right around you, to the friends and family around the world. It can really be an amazing thing, but it can also do more damage than good if used in the wrong way. Like in gossiping, instead of conforming to the world, be a light and use your words to build others up.

Psalm 19:14: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."


No comments:

Post a Comment