Tuesday, September 20, 2016

I need more!!!!

I need more, more of everything!
Well, I want more.
Want and need are so very different 
and yet sometimes we use those two words as the same meaning.


Are you content with what you have?
Are you always wanting more in life?
Do you desire a new car, the latest fashion, a bigger and better house?
When will we ever be content?

My son was just telling me this last week that he needs a laptop (he's 10 by the way). So we went through the talk about if he needs it or wants it. He agreed that he really just wanted it. It's easy as parents to teach our children the difference of what they need verses what they want but as adults we just don't seem to be able to take our own advice. We never seem to be satisfied with our lives. We live in times where bigger and more is better. So when my son and I, talked about that I realized that sometimes I take these two words the same as well. Most of the time I feel like I need more. I compare my life to the lives of others around me or to the lives of famous people. I know that if I got all the things that I want there would still be more things to be desired. There will always be something new and different but I just can't seem to be satisfied. 

We live in a fast paced world. 
Everyone is always going and going. 
Must have more, have my kids in more sports, go shopping more often, work more hours, do more with friends, more projects, more everything........
What are you sacrificing to get what you want? 
Time with your kids?
Time with your spouse? 
How about your extended family?
The big question, how about yourself?
Is what you want more important than those around you? Once you acquire those items you are working so hard for, will it be too late? Will your children be grown and gone? Will you have anyone left to enjoy those things with?


We seem to look at this only with relationships but it also applies with our lives. We always look elsewhere and say, "if I only have that item my life will be better." We look to other people to tell us when we will be happy. 
When we have a nice, big house like those people.
 When my babies are grown.
When the weather changes. 
When I leave my spouse. 

Why can't we be happy and satisfied with right now? 
Right where you are in your life. 
With your babies waking up in the middle of the night. 
With your teenager stressing you out. 
With the money struggles your having. 
With the family you have.
With the spouse God gave you.
Why don't we look for the happiness right in the place God has placed you?
Even with the seasons. We can't just be happy with what season we are in. Come August they are already putting out Halloween items. It's still Summer people! Can't we at least wait until Autumn? Don't get me wrong Autumn is my favorite time of year so I have a hard time waiting to put out my decorations but why do we rush things. We are making the years fly by, by always looking ahead. Then when the years are gone we look back and wish we were there, wish we would've enjoyed our children a little more, wish we could soak up our family time.

It's not about looking forward, it's not about looking back. It's about paying attention to where you are, who your with, and what you have. 
You are taken care of. God will take care of you. You will be provided for with what you need. 
Just slow down and spend time enjoying your loved ones and what you have right now. 
Learn to be pleased with your life. 


Matthew 6:25-26
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet the heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?



Previous BookPrevious C

No comments:

Post a Comment