Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Potty Training at 18 months is possible!!

Ahhhh...... don't you all just love potty training?????
With my oldest daughter I worked at a school so I had one week off for Easter break and I thought I would use that to potty train her. She was fully potty trained by the end of the week (except for over night).
My son was a different story. I tried at 20 months and he didn't get it and wasn't totally interested so we took a break. Then started again at 24 months and he picked it up.
Now, our 2 year old picked up quite quickly as well. She was just 18 months. It only took a little over a week.
The secret????
Everyone always asks me how I did it so young and so fast. It was pretty simple. I know some people are against this way of doing it and that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion of how it should be done.
Positive reinforcements!!!
I start with them picking out a potty seat (I don't like the ones on the floor, I want them to feel as big as us so I use the ones that sit on the toilet), fun character undies and pull ups (don't go back to using diapers it will only confuse them). We get mini M&M's and some entertainment. With the first two I had little tables I made and we would play Playdough while on the potty. For the youngest she just loves books so much that I didn't even need a table. I just brought books in with us. I don't use the undies for a bit in the beginning they just go naked until they get it down a little (otherwise you will be washing under wear constantly). We will talk about being a big kid and how everyone else goes on the potty like a big (girl, boy).  Then we get started. YAY!
I just let them roam naked and watch them like a hawk (don't plan on cleaning or doing anything during these days). I take them to the potty every 30 minutes or more depending on how much they are drinking. I give them a lot of fluids so they will have more chances of successes. When there is a #1 they get 3 little candies. When there is a #2 they can put their hand in for a handful (which really with their small hands I think the most my daughter picked up at one time was 7). I had one bag and it lasted so long even with my husband stealing handfuls. I put it in a clear Tupperware so they can see through and when it's gone, it's gone.  Also when they have a success whoever was in the house would run into the bathroom and clap and cheer (that seems to really do it for them, they love the attention). Sometimes for our youngest we would all be in the bathroom even with Grandma over. It was pretty fun for us all.
Going out!
Don't go out anywhere until they get it down enough to have a little control. Give it a couple of days. Then let them wear a pull up but make a point to take them to the potty most places you go so they get comfortable with other potties. I replace the diapers in the diaper bag with the potty seat and take it into every store or restaurant so I'm prepared (you won't have to do this forever).
Don't give up!
The most important thing is to keep at it. I got really frustrated at one point with our youngest because after a couple days she did really good for a day then went backwards. I was talking to my husband about it and he told me just to stick with it and gave me so much encouragement. She was much better the next day and I'm so glad I didn't give up.
Now she is 2 and she hasn't worn a pull up in about 2 months and rarely has an accident at night (only when she was sick). We are so happy that we did this early so we didn't have to do diapers anymore. We are all happier!

 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment